Accidents happen, and people are injured or killed—that’s a fact of life. Sometimes there is no one to blame and no action to take other than to tough it out and recover the best way you know how.
Other times, however, people are injured or killed as a direct result of someone’s mistake or negligence. In these cases, there is someone to blame and there are definitely actions you can take to make sure the negligent party is held responsible and that you are awarded the resources you will need to fully recover from your injuries or your loss. To ensure the best outcome for you and your family, you need an experienced personal injury and wrongful death attorney to represent you. At Blackwell, Vishio & Fisher, we have the experience and the dedication to fight for you.
In the aftermath of an accident that leaves you seriously injured, things can happen very quickly. You may be encouraged to agree to a settlement or to make an official statement before you are entirely clear as to exactly what happened. It is important that you take your time and contact a personal injury attorney if there is any chance that the accident that left you injured was caused, even in part, by someone else’s negligence.
Personal injury claims can be filed following almost any accident involving an injury, including the following:
- Car Accidents. If you are the victim of a car crash caused by a drunk or distracted driver, a reckless driver, or a teenaged or elderly driver, that driver should be held responsible for your injuries. Don’t make a deal with an insurance company before talking to an attorney. Your injuries are likely worth a lot more than you will be initially offered.
- Big Truck Crashes. Many accidents involving big trucks are the fault of the truck driver or trucking company. Drivers who have driven beyond federal hours of service rules or who are driving under the influence of a controlled substance are ticking time bombs on our roads and highways. Likewise, poor maintenance of these big rigs also poses considerable risk to other drivers. If you were in a crash involving a semi-truck, it’s always worth investigating the true cause.
- Motorcycle Accidents. There is no doubt that motorcyclists are more vulnerable to injury than drivers of other vehicles, but that doesn’t mean that the drivers who cause accidents that leave motorcyclists injured should not be held responsible. When drivers are careless or distracted and motorcyclists are injured as a result, a personal injury attorney can make sure the biker is compensated.
- Pedestrian or Bicycle Accidents. You do the right thing by walking or riding your bike to work each day, but you also take your life in your hands. When a negligent driver hits you and causes catastrophic injury, you will need all the help you can get. Don’t wait to seek representation.
- Slip and Fall Accidents. Property owners, landlords, and business managers have a responsibility to make sure they maintain a hazard-free environment for visitors and employees. If a broken railing, slippery floor, or uneven staircase causes you to fall and injure yourself, the owner is responsible for compensating you.
- Serious Dog Bites. Dog owners have a duty to restrain dogs in fenced yards or on sturdy leashes. Dog bites can result in infection, disfiguring injuries, muscle and ligament damage, and much more. A personal injury attorney can ensure the owner pays up.
- Defective and Dangerous Products. An automotive part, infant stroller, child’s toy, or kitchen appliance can become a dangerous weapon when poor design or shoddy workmanship leads to a defect. No matter how big the manufacturer is, we will take them on and demand a fair settlement or jury award.
When you suffer broken bones, traumatic brain injury, spinal cord damage, internal organ damage, disfiguring tissue damage, or any other serious injury because of someone else’s negligence, we will fight to recover everything you are entitled to. This includes payment of medical bills, out-of-pocket expenses, past, present and future lost wages, compensation for pain and suffering, and much more. No insurance company will offer you all of what you are owed unless you have legal representation.
When any of the above types of accidents leads to the death of a loved one, you may have grounds to file a wrongful death lawsuit. This decision is never an easy one and our attorneys understand that winning compensation will not lessen your grief or bring back your loved one. However, you may not be aware of the expenses you will face or how your family will cope without the future financial support of your loved one.
Wrongful death claims may be brought by the surviving spouse, children, or parents of the deceased, as well as other family members who were financially dependent upon the deceased. Many factors will be considered when determining a wrongful death award, including the following:
- The amount of the deceased’s income available to the survivor(s)
- The replacement value of the deceased’s services
- The life expectancy of all parties
- Loss of companionship and protection
- Mental pain and suffering
- Medical and funeral expenses
There are limits on the amount of time you will have to file a wrongful death claim, so don’t hesitate to call us. You can count on me top be honest about your chances and help you decide whether to pursue a claim or not.
Personal injury and wrongful death claims are some of our toughest, but most rewarding, cases. Supporting victims as they recover from their injuries or from the loss of a loved one requires a great deal of sensitivity and understanding. Our attorneys will be there for you every step of the way—from the accident scene to your hospital room. The sooner you call after an accident, the more we will be able to help you.